воскресенье, 9 июня 2013 г.

The Great Gatsby: Review of the Costumes.

Hey there once again!
Did you miss me? Haha, just kidding. :D Today I don't have any new photos, but I'm here to talk about the absolute bestseller in the last few weeks - the movie called "The Great Gastby", starring Leonardo di Caprio and Tobey Maguire. As soon as I've heard of it, I decided to read the book first. You know how they say, books are always better than movies, because our imagination doesn't have any limits. Even though I'm not a fan of 19th century literature (in our case, it's the beginning of the 20th century), I liked this book a lot. Now I'm able to say that this is one of my favorite books, actually. After my conscience was finally clear, I decided to watch the movie. To say "I liked it" means not to say anything. But let's start from the beginning. 
At first, the movie made very dual impression, thanks to the soundtrack with the participation of Jay-Z, Kanye West, Fergie etc. The parties also seemed a bit unreal, I mean, very similar to the parties we have nowadays. But everything in complex was so bright, so amazing, so impressive, and at the same time, it wasn't unreasonable. Everything was connected, and I have to admit, this time the movie was very close to the book. I gave the special attention to how characters were dressed. And what I saw didn't disappoint or upset me at all. Costumes for the movie were made by Miuccia Prada. As for me (and not only me) she did a very very good job, because costumes had the main role in creating the atmosphere of 20's. Miuccia was inspired by Fitzgerald works and by her own archives. Well, let's take a closer look. 

Sketches by Miuccia Prada. 

Prada was working in collaboration with Catherine Martin, the costume designer of "The Great Gatsby". Baz Luhrmann invited Prada to design clothes for his new film because of aspiration for making classics more modren, which they both have in common. Dresses which were made for the movie were quite "realistic" and similar to those, which were worn in 20's, but still, they all have a little bit of modernity, which makes audience perceive them much better. For example, Carey Mulligan's crystal dress. It wasn't made just like that, women wore clothes like this in the beginning of the 20th century. But we also can find similar things in our shops, too. This is what makes costumes very unique. 
About a month ago Prada opened an exhibition at Lincoln Center in New York named Catherine Martin and Miuccia Prada Dress Gatsby, where were present most of the dresses, which were worn in the movie. Here are some photos, which represent the exhibits.


Do you remember those from the movie? I do! Seems like Daisy Buchanan and Jordan Baker visited the exhibition themselves! 
"The Great Gatsby" is not only a very beautiful movie, but also a movie, which has lots of things to think about. But usually, watching movie means relaxing, so, I suppose, the creators decided to ease heavy thoughts with beautiful interiors, beautiful faces and beautiful dresses. The main thing is that principal idea isn't lost behind all this gloss. It's seen even more clearly. If you haven't seen "The Great Gatsby" yet, go to the cinema, immediately! You won't regret about the spent time, I promise. 

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий